cushion tutorial.

by - Sunday, August 25, 2013

Hello. I hope you all had a lovely weekend!

Do you remember that easy cushion tutorial I posted on Facebook recently? Well.. I thought I'd give it a go and sew a test one so that I am free to make covers whenever I please! I can't wait to mix it up and get really creative with it! It makes adding a little colour and brightening up any room so easy.
Feel free to scoot along to the original tutorial if you like! I took some photos whilst I made mine, which I'll post below with instructions.
With the way I did mine, I didn't even have to measure once!! It took me under an hour and I'm so happy with how it turned out.

Firstly, start out with a cushion cover you want to replace.
To get started, lay out the original cushion cover on to my chosen material. Then roughly cut around it making sure you leave enough room for a 1cm seam allowance. Now you need to cut out 2 pieces for the back. So cut 2 more pieces the same height, but about two thirds of the width.
 Hem one edge (height wise) for both of your backing pieces of fabric. Do this by folding over once, then folding over again. Stitch with wrong side up as shown below. Then turn it over and stitch again, but close to the edge. This creates 2 different stitch lines.
 You should now have this.
 Then sandwich them all together. To do this, have your main piece of material facing right side up. Then lay your 2 backing pieces right side down on top of each other with the raw edges all together, as shown below.
 Stitch all the way around the edge, with the 1cm seam allowance that you accounted for.
 Clip the edges, then turn it inside out and press!
CONGRATULATIONS! You're finished!! And you've entered into an addictive and fun habit of changing up all the pillows and cushions in your house! ..Weekly!
Happily Yours,

You May Also Like

0 comments